By Dr. Liza Ramoso-Ong
As we get older, our skin becomes thinner and drier. Hot weather and dry air also causes lines and wrinkles to form in the skin.
- Take a bath daily but keep it short. Do not exceed 7 minutes of showering because this can contribute to dry skin.
- Use warm water but not hot water. Hot water removes the natural oils of the skin.
- Close the bathroom door to keep the humidity (wetness) in the room. You can use a humidifier to keep the air moist.
- Apply a moisturizer immediately after taking a bath. Moisturize frequently during the day.
- Petroleum jelly is effective for very dry skin. You can use it for the lips and nose, too. Apply a lip balm often to prevent chapped lips.
- Don’t wet your hands for a long time such as for washing clothes. You may use gloves when doing the laundry. After washing your hands, use a hand lotion or moisturizer.
- Apply a sunblock or sunscreen every day.
- For very dry skin, see a dermatologist for a check-up. There could be other medical conditions causing the dry skin.
Finally, let us follow three basic tips for beautiful and healthy skin.
- Avoid unhealthy habits like cigarette smoking and drinking alcohol. Smokers have twice more wrinkles than non-smokers and their skins have a thicker and yellow-orange tinge. This is because of the lack of oxygen circulating in the face.
- Eat more foods known to promote beautiful skin, which include avocados, cottage cheese, watermelon, tomatoes, vegetables, oily fish (like sardines, tilapia and salmon) and green tea. Drink enough water to keep your skin supple and firm.
- Be happy. A smiling face is a beautiful face. Despite our hectic workload, let us find the time to relax and sleep more. Good luck.